I've discovered a major flaw to my blogging experience...the lack of a working computer. I'm sure this is only a minor flaw as I appear to be skilled in inviting myself to places with computer access. However , it is also a useful excuse for the days I really can't be bothered or actually have my time filled with activities akin to a social life.
I'm still in the midst of seeking new employment and have been asked by an agency how my friends would describe me. I gave some slightly appropriate answers. Really though, do I really want to know the true answer? I think not. I like having friends and I fear the truth would diminish this. They say ignorance is no excuse for things and ignorance is bliss. I'll take the bliss - thanks very much.
In my quest for 'a normal job' I've applied to the census. Walking around asking questions seems fairly straightforward. They made me take 3 tests just to get to the application stage! (Results pending...) Some of the questions are OK, along the lines of would you go home early if you felt like it and would you grass on your colleagues. Clearly anyone not clever enough to see through that also wouldn't have the ability to get on the website but anyway... At this point I'm thinking 'ok this test Will be easy.' Then I'm told to plan the shortest route to 4 locations with a bizarre table of distances. Now I understand why they want to know if I can do this (which I couldn't) but they could at least have given some flexibility or an appeal section. If I fail, I might petition with the following:
Dear sir/madam/computerised machine
I feel that rejecting my application on the basis of map reading is unjustified. Yes, my ability to get from point a to b is hindered usually by my inability to find point A on the map and don't get me started on point B. But, in fairness I have an IPhone and most importantly Google Maps. So unless you're sending me to Mars or one of the few freaky black spots, I don't need to know these things. In fact, Google Maps is much quicker then getting lost. It tells me each step. Literally. Therefore, my brain can save space for the useful things like writing the correct census codes or plotting how to get promoted to your job. I'm sure I'd be better at it then you anyway. (Joke. You really are an expert)
Please reconsider my application or at least provide your staff with IPhones so they have no excuse for missing their daily quota.
Thanks
Libby
I'm sure this would be greatly accepted. Or not. But the point is still valid. Fingers crossed they hire me before reading this!
Random thought of the day: If I wasn't dyslexic, would I be able to spell dyslexia (p.s. this has been spell checked and you should have seen it the first time I wrote it)
No comments:
Post a Comment