Saturday, 22 January 2011

An interesting discovery

I decided to save myself some money today. It's amazing that in the anticipation of losing your job how many 'necessities' vanish. I mean really, do I need food or contact lenses? I'll never give up tea but everything is negotiable.

As I read quite a bit, I decided rather than buy some new books I would visit the library. I frequently use the Internet at the library but have never ventured to the other floors. Fortunately we had the privilege of a new 5-storey library being built last year. However, as discovered today there is a distinct lack of books!

I'm actually considering challenging the library as I reckon I own more books the them. Or if they're really struggling with the recession then organise a donation tray. I'll give them enough to at least look bigger then my school library. I eventually found a computer and ran some searches. I looked for recent best sellers and some of them weren't even recognised.

At this point I thought I'd go with the obvious. I tried James Patterson who (if you live in a cave in Mongolia)is the biggest author since sliced bread (who made it on Richard and Judy's list I'm sure). JP writes a new book every week ...suspiciously half of them have other author's names in small print. Imagine that, years of writing and finally your big break isn't even readable under JP's name. Well Newcastle library has 1 JP book! And not even a particularly good one. After much meandering I picked up a book that promised me a good thriller. So far I've discovered it's all written phonetically. In Scottish! Somehow, I'm not that desperate.

What's the moral of the story? If you want a new book don't go to the library. Get a cheap book by going to a charity shop or Asda. But whatever you do, don't try the library.

Random thought of the day: Can I call it a random thought of the day if all my thoughts are random?

No comments:

Post a Comment